Veterinary Medical Center of Long Island Complaint #13

Barry P.East Northport, NY wrote on 1/18/2012

I am distressed about the events that occurred when I brought my sick cat, Kirby, to your hospital, on Tuesday, January 3, looking for a diagnosis and treatment.  Sadly, while I have experienced incompetence, I was not prepared for the indifference, which is worse. It could have cost me my cat.

With a temperature of over 105 degrees, Kirby completely stopped eating and my vet, from the North Shore Veterinary Hospital found her liver enzymes to be very high.  They suggested I bring her to your facility for further tests. Once there, Dr. Hillock took x-rays and a sonogram, which proved negative. He gave her tests for viruses. These results were essential for treatment.

While I did receive a follow up phone call about the first tests, the doctor said that I had to wait for the results of the virus test. Well, those results never came. I called several times and was put off. On Friday, when I finally go through to a doctor, we had a strange, really strange, 90 second phone call, where he wouldn’t answer any questions.  He just told me to wait for the results, he would not respond to the question, “How long?”

Nothing was done over the weekend and neither on Monday and Tuesday. My vet called on Wednesday and was told the results would be faxed over by noon.  So I was called and brought Kirby in at 12:30.  The results were never sent. The visit was for nothing.

Several calls were made to your hospital; finally, at 3:30 on January 11th, I was called by the hospital to tell me that they had lost the test. Again, the doctor never told me that, they told the vet that the results would be in my noon. It is obvious that the doctor never checked on its progress. If he had I would have brought Kirby back.

While I was given a small refund for the test, I paid for the diagnosis of an internist, but never got one because her tests were never completed. I also paid for a visit to my vet, on January 11th, who expected the results from you, but never got them.

My cat was very sick, and your treatment was if she got better there was nothing you needed to do and if she died, well, there is nothing we could have done. Oh yes, no one has ever called inquiring about the status of Kirby.

Incompetence in losing the test is bad enough, but the total indifference of not looking into why the results were taking so long and flat out lying saying the results were on their way was inexcusable.

It still cost $1,000

(Many complaints on yelp were made due to lack of compassion, understaffed, exorbitant pricing,  price gauging. Also despite being an emergency facility 24/7 do not have emergency staff 24/7 and borderline negligent)


Comments are closed.